02 March 2008

Luther

The more familiar I become with Luther the more convinced I am that he has insights into the Bible and the human heart that are more satisfying than many contemporary writers are acknowledging. In the years ahead I want to spend regular time in Luther; I find him both head-illuminating and heart-igniting. Yet today, confessed proximity to Luther by any Paul scholar is one step shy of anathema. It ought not to be.

In his Galatians commentary, for instance, he writes:

There is no difference at all between a papist, a Jew, a Turk, or a sectarian. Their persons, locations, rituals, religions, works, and forms of worship are, of course, diverse; but they all have the same reason, the same heart, the same opinion and idea. . . . "If I do this or that, I have a God who is favorably disposed toward me; if I do not, I have a God who is wrathful."

HT: Steve Westerholm

No comments: