10 May 2011

Something the NT Writers Clearly Agreed On

The Lord Jesus:
And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, 'Which commandment is the most important of all?' Jesus answered, 'The most important is, "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." The second is this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." There is no other commandment greater than these.' (Mark 12:28-31)
Paul:
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Cor 13:1-3)
The writer to the Hebrews:
Let brotherly love continue. (Heb 13:1)
James:
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself,' you are doing well. (Jas 2:8)
Peter:
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. (1 Pet 4:8)
John:
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. (1 John 4:7-8)

No comments: